Wednesday, September 16, 2009

GC Girls Volleyball

Just a quick entry to show some photos of my first girls volleyball of the season. Gates-Chili faced off against the Brockport Blue Devils on Tuesday and Hilton on Thursday. Tuesday was only a 3 game match as Brockport defeated the Spartans 3 games to 0. I tryed a few angles at the game and found out that I am a little rusty since last year. My volleyball eye has left and it may take some time to get it back. I planned on shooting another game right away. The second game was against the Hilton Cadets and like before GC lost 3-0. They did show a bit more promise in these matches and looked much better than the previous match.

Here are some of the shots I took from these two matches...

I like to arrive early to get some close-ups of the players and some of their drills. Here the girls line up as the coach sets them up to bump it back. I used the 300mm as I sat on the gym floor.

Jump serves can create some great shots even though there may be some motion blur do to the low lighting in gyms. I liked this shot as a Brockport player prepares to jump before her serve. I was on the floor for this shot and used a 70-200mm lens.

I then took a different angle by moving up to the second floor track. Here I could get just above the net shots and faces because they were looking straight below me. One of the Gates girls serves as it looks like she is aiming towards me.

This angle is great for net battles whether it is a player spiking the ball or blocking like in this shot.

I also brought a 85mm lens that works well in low light for some group shots. I liked this photo as the Hilton Cadets celebrate an ace.


Volleyball Galleries: GC v. Brockport/Hilton

No comments: